Today sees the release of ‘The Power of the Daleks’ animation on region 2 DVD.
Lost for 50 years, this newly regenerated stunning hand-drawn black and white animation comes with a synchronised digitally remastered recording of the original 1966 audio. It begins immediately after the first regeneration, as a new Doctor immediately faces an old foe.
The 6-part series has been lovingly created by the team behind the highly successful animation of the lost Dad’s Army episode A Stripe For Frazer. Character design comes from acclaimed comic book artists Martin Geraghty and Adrian Salmon. The producer and director is Charles Norton.
This 2-disc DVD release includes the following extras….
- Alternate soundtracks
- The option to listen to the story with a series of completely new digital re-masters of the original soundtrack – a stereo mix; a 5.1 surround sound mix and version of the original 1966 mono sound mix.
- Animation Test Footage
- A compilation of animation tests, created during the production of the new animated series.
- Audio Commentaries on all 6 episodes
- Members of the original cast and crew are joined by members of the new animation unit to discuss the production of the story and its new animated reconstruction. Moderated by Toby Hadoke. Includes archive audio.
- Booklet with Production Notes
- An extensively researched set of production notes, written by the noted television historian Andrew Pixley, covering the behind the scenes story of how the original production was made.
- Original Camera Scripts
- Selected items of original production paperwork and a complete set of original camera scripts
- Original Title Sequence – new restoration
- An unedited presentation of the full original ‘Doctor Who’ title sequence, prepared using an all new HD re-master of the original film elements.
- The Power of the Daleks Animation and Photo Gallery
- An extended gallery of images, featuring production photographs from the original 1966 series and artwork from the latest animated production, accompanied by incidental music from the story, which has been digitally re-mastered from the original music production tapes.
- Original Dalek Voice Session Recording (1966)
- Rare and previously unreleased sections from the studio recordings that were made at Maida Vale Studios in 1966 for the Dalek voices.
- Servants and Masters – The Making of The Power of the Daleks
- A specially prepared documentary directed by John Kelly and featuring interviews with members of the original 1966 cast and crew.
- Telesnap reconstruction.
- Around 400 individual still frames of film exist from the original 1966 television production of The Power of the Daleks. These images were kept in the programme’s production files by the BBC Written Archive Centre. These images are here combined with the programme’s soundtrack to present a photographic reconstruction of the original programme.